Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction Syndrome (TMJ) is a common condition affecting a wide variety of people. TMJ is often the result of an imbalance in the bite. Dr. J. Eric Hires, Dr. Nithya Nagaraj, Dr. Mary Karina Dostie, or Dr. Jaslynn Kalsi will perform a thorough exam and discuss your medical history to identify the underlying cause in order to recommend appropriate, lasting treatment.
The symptoms of TMJ are debilitating and can greatly interfere with every day life. The comfort and general well being of the patient is at the heart of our Toledo, OH dental practice, so pain relief is the first consideration of your dentist.
Common TMJ Symptoms
- Teeth grinding or clenching, often characterized by tooth wear or damage
- Frequent headaches
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Limited mobility in the jaw
- Clicking or popping when opening or closing jaw
TMJ sufferers report that their symptoms generally worsen during periods of prolonged or unexpected stress, and that intense outbreaks of the condition can lead to neck pain and dizziness.
TMJ Treatment Options
- Occlusal equilibration, making changes to the fit of the bite by reshaping and/or removing tooth structure
- Splint therapy
- TMJ mouthguard
- Orthodontics to realign the teeth
- Lifestyle changes to reduce daily stress