Preventive dental care is a cooperative effort by the patient, dentist, and dental staff to preserve the natural dentition and supporting structures by preventing the onset, progress, and recurrence of dental diseases and conditions.
Dr. J. Eric Hires, Dr. Mary Karina Dostie, and Dr. Jaslynn Kalsi emphasize that preventing dental disease starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet. It is continued in the dental office by the efforts of your dentist and dental hygienist to promote, restore, and maintain your oral health.
Prevention also includes regular dental exams, cleanings, and x-rays. Sealants and fluoride are also great preventive treatments that help protect the teeth.
Prevention helps avoid serious and costly dental problems and is the key to having a healthy, confident, beautiful smile.
Your first visit
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Periodontal screening and evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of gum disease.
Routine preventive care visits
Professional dental cleanings (dental prophylaxis) are performed in our comfortable dental office by Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are searching for a dentist in the Perrysburg, OH, Toledo, OH, and Sylvania Township, OH area, contact Hires Dental Care today. Schedule a consultation to learn what the best dental treatments are for you. Whether you need a family dentist or you suffer from complex dental issues, Dr. J. Eric Hires, Dr. Mary Karina Dostie, and Dr. Jaslynn Kalsi are here to help you.