Do you have recurring headaches, especially when waking up in the morning? Do you experience constant jaw pain?
Hires Dental Care in the Sylvania Township, OH area offers comprehensive treatment options for patients suffering from TMJ pain and symptoms such as headaches, jaw pain, and facial pain. Dr. J. Eric Hires, Dr. Nithya Nagaraj, Dr. Jaslynn Kalsi, and Dr. Shreea Handa are highly trained and experienced in diagnosing and treating TMJ symptoms.
The Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) is the joint that acts like a sliding hinge because it connects your jawbone to your skull. This joint is present on both sides of your jaw and is responsible for the opening and closing of the mouth. TMJ disorder, or TMD, refers to a wide variety of potential issues affecting the jaw joint, muscles in the face, neck, and surrounding nerves. TMJ disorders can cause some people a lot of pain in their jaw joints and the surrounding muscles.
There is no single cause for a TMJ disorder. Any number of factors or combination of factors may be to blame including:
- Trauma to the head, neck, or face
- Trauma to the TMJ joint or arthritis
- Hormonal changes or imbalances
- Malocclusion (where the jaws do not line up correctly resulting in bite problems)
Schedule a Consultation
Are you looking for a dentist office that offers TMJ treatment in Sylvania Township, OH and Toledo, OH? Schedule an appointment today with Hires Dental Care if you think you may be suffering from TMJ disorder. One of our expert dentists will perform a thorough exam and discuss your medical history to identify the underlying cause in order to recommend appropriate, lasting treatment.
The TMJ symptoms vary greatly from patient to patient. TMJ symptoms often mask themselves or are similar to those of other medical conditions, making diagnosis extremely difficult. It’s important for you to seek care from Hires Dental Care in the Sylvania Township, OH area if you have any of these symptoms, and especially if they are persistent. TMJ Symptoms can include:
- Jaw pain
- Locked jaw or limited mobility in the jaw joint
- Clicking or popping when opening or closing jaw
- Frequent headaches
- Shoulder, neck or facial pain
- Teeth clenching, teeth grinding, often accompanied by worn, chipped or broken teeth
- Chronic earaches or ringing in ears
- Numbness or tingling of the hands or fingers
Our dentists will recommend conservative treatment options that can be successful in addressing your symptoms and restoring dental health. TMJ treatment can be very complex which is why there is no one way to correct the problem. Our goal is to treat your TMJ disorder at our Sylvania Township, OH dentist office by gently and naturally bringing the head, neck, jaw and bite into proper alignment. It could take one or several treatments to correct that instability and then repair any damage to teeth or gums. We offer the following TMJ treatments:
- Occlusal equilibration, making changes to the fit of the bite by reshaping and/or removing tooth structure
- Splint therapy
- TMJ mouthguard
- Orthodontics to realign the teeth
- Lifestyle changes to reduce daily stress