Is a damaged tooth causing tooth pain, or major oral health issues?
There are numerous situations in which a simple tooth extraction can help alleviate pain. Sometimes a tooth is too damaged to save. Other times it may need to be extracted to prepare you for another cosmetic or restorative procedure. Dr. Hires and his associates at Hires Dental Care in Toledo can perform simple tooth extractions in their comfortable dentist office.
A tooth extraction is always a choice of last resort. We do our best to save as much of the natural tooth as possible. When a root canal or alternative treatment is deemed insufficient or unsuccessful, a tooth extraction may be recommended.
Reasons for a Tooth Extraction
If you think you need a tooth extracted, but are not sure, do not self-diagnose before visiting your local dentist in Toledo. Some common reasons patients get this procedure include:
- Advanced periodontal disease that has loosened the tooth roots
- Mouth trauma after an accident that has left your teeth unrepairable
- Extra teeth or baby teeth that impede adult teeth
- Preparing a patient for orthodontic treatment
- Removing a fractured or malformed tooth to prevent infection
- Severe tooth decay which cannot be remedied with root canal therapy
Q&A: Wisdom Teeth Extractions
If you have not already had your wisdom teeth removed, then you have some things to consider. Majority of people need to have them removed. However, some people do not and are blessed with an extra set of molars to grind and chew food with. Let’s find out why.
Q: Why Are They Called Wisdom Teeth?
A: Most patients do not know much about wisdom teeth including the name. Wisdom teeth are your third and final set of molars to appear in your mouth. They get the name Wisdom teeth due to your age when they decide to appear in your mouth. For just about everyone, wisdom teeth appear in your late teens and early twenties.
Q: Why Are Wisdom Teeth So Painful?
A: There are some reasons that wisdom teeth are painful.
- Not Enough Room To Grow: If there is not enough room if your mouth for wisdom teeth to grow, they will grow anyway. When this happens, you run the risk of serious pain and discomfort inside your mouth; also, you will run the risk of nerve damage.
- Your Wisdom Tooth Becomes Impacted: If your wisdom tooth cannot grow, it will become impacted. This can be extremely painful possibly preventing yourself from chewing and eating. An impacted wisdom tooth will also cause your jaw to become misaligned and your other teeth to become overcrowded, making them crooked. Jaw misalignment can put unnecessary stress on your jaw and your joints, causing TMJ which will lead to chronic headaches and pain when eating.
Q: What Are The Remedy Options For Your Wisdom Teeth?
A: There are only two possible outcomes for your wisdom teeth
1. There is plenty of room for your wisdom teeth to come in uninterrupted, and you will be fortunate enough to have an extra row of molars that can be used from grinding food while you eat.
2. They need to be removed. You either have enough room for wisdom teeth, or you do not. Majority of people today do not have enough room as wisdom teeth are the most removed teeth among young adults today.
Schedule a Tooth Extraction Consultation
If you are experiencing tooth pain or believe you may need a tooth extraction in Sylvania Township, contact our Toledo dental office to schedule an appointment and restore your dental health. Hires Dental Care offers sedation dentistry, including IV sedation, to ensure your comfort during the procedure.